Next Cash and Carry

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Zainab Hong's special: My homemade shawarma recipe......Naijastyle.......photos!


Ok guys! Let's enter the kitchen together.

I love shawarma to a fault. So I decided to stop spending my money on buying it every so often and find a way to make it myself.......from scratch. This is my style of shawarma, try it and, I promise, no shawarma stand will see you again.......hehehhee.

Ingredients and procedure below:



Shredded chicken or beef..........whatever rocks your boat. You can buy shredded chicken from stores or if you wish, you can make by yourself at home. Just peel off the skin of your chicken breast/thigh, remove the meat from the bones. Throw the bones away and cut the boneless meat into slim shreds


Next step is to marinate the chicken. To marinate, you need garlic powder, curry, thyme, black pepper, chopped onions, a pinch of salt, seasoning cube and a table spoonful of vegetable oil.

To make the marinate:

Mix all the ingredients I mentioned above into the shredded chicken .....just enough spice, don't over spice it.



Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.


After you marinate the chicken, proceed to prepare for the next stage of the shawarma. For this stage you will need mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, fiery chilli sauce ( or pepper), pita bread ( shawarma bread), sausage ( hotdog)' cabbage, carrots, cucumber and lettuce.

Cut the vegetables into fine sizes ( I usually chop my cabbage, grate my carrot, dice lettuce and cut cucumber into stripes). Set the vegetables aside.


Put a table spoonful of vegetable oil in a pan and stir fry the marinated chicken. Fry till it's juicy but not crispy.......continue.


This is what the fried shredded chicken should look like.


Throw sausages into the pan and stir fry ( no need for oil, since it's the same pan that was used for the chicken). When that is done set aside and proceed to the next stage which is preparing the shawarma cream.


Mix mayonnaise and ketchup.



My mayo-ketch shawarma sauce.....looool 


Time to put it all together.

Place the shawarma bread on a flat surface. Spread the mayo-ketch mixture all over the bread (just the part facing up). 


Put little portions of the vegetables, shredded chicken and sausage on one end of the flat bread. Drizzle a bit of the chilli sauce on it, and gently start rolling. You roll it like a mat, make sure you tuck it in while rolling.


And there you have it!


Put it in the oven or microwave for about a minute.......this helps to cement the awesomeness...hehehe.



Wrap in a paper and eat warm. My family finished it before I could do the final effizzy of unwrapping the end product. But trust me, it was delicious.


N.B

Pita or shawarma bread is sold in most big supermarkets. It very affordable. 










3 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice one Zainab I just learnt some tips thanks sweri...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zainab u too much! I can actually prepare it myself now. Weldone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!!!! I am hungry now!!! Nice one Zainab

    ReplyDelete